St. Anthony of Padua Parish, under the leadership of Fr. Justin Huang, is looking for a full-time Director of Discipleship (DD) for our vibrant and growing parish of 1,100 people. The mission of the DD is to cooperate with the Holy Spirit in forming saints from those who have already chosen to make Christ the centre of their lives. The DD will work to provide formation opportunities that will help disciples grow in holiness and mission.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The mission of the Director of Discipleship (DD) is to cooperate with the Holy Spirit in forming saints from those who have already chosen to make Christ the centre of their lives. The DD provides formation opportunities for disciples to grow in holiness and mission. As a member of the Leadership Team and under the direction of the pastor, the DD will be a leader of leaders who is rooted in the Church’s tried-and-true methods of spiritual growth, as well as the current approaches. The DD is completely dedicated to Jesus and His Church, supporting her teachings in all endeavours, and models by example.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The roles and responsibilities of the DD are focused on leading disciples to become saints. These include, but are not limited to:
● Developing a clear and defined plan to holiness and mission that is focused on the Eucharist. This plan has multiple entry points in which a disciple can discern where he or she is called to start (e.g. Faith Studies, Journey Through Scripture, Called & Gifted workshops, apologetics training, pro-life training, Theology of the Body, Marian consecration, etc.) and then progress through all the stages. The formation will mainly be through small groups, so as to emphasize persons over programs as well as the raising up of leaders.
● Providing vision and growth to these formation opportunities, as well as overseeing implementation and evaluation.
● Developing a core team of leaders from various formation groups.
● Overseeing Intercessory Prayer Ministry and Adoration Ministry, which are the soul of holiness and the apostolate.
● Coordinating other formation opportunities such as parish missions, books, Lighthouse Catholic Media, Steubenville conferences and the New Evangelization Summit.
● Collaborating with the Director of Evangelization and the Coordinator of Parish Activities to ensure alignment of goals, initiatives, and programs.
● Desire for holiness and passion for evangelization.
● Commitment to and a sound understanding of Catholic doctrine and practices.
● Letter of recommendation from pastor of personal parish.
Background, Skills and Knowledge
● Proven leadership skills: vision, initiative, a commitment to results, building and leading others; and a demonstrated track record of improving programs and completing projects.
● Strong organizational, logistical, planning, problem solving, team building and multi-tasking skills.
● Project management, program development, change management training/experience;
● Ability to function independently with minimal supervision and direction.
● Ability to recruit, screen, train and supervise volunteers for ministerial work.
● The drive to continually learn and establish best practices through professional development.
● Solid written and verbal English communication skills.
● Ability to communicate a sense of availability and openness to working with others.
● Adept in interpersonal skills.
● Adept in conflict resolution.
● Ability to keep confidences.
● Computer literate and proficient in using Microsoft Office productivity software, Google Calendar and Google Docs.
Education, Training and Experience
● Degree in Pastoral Studies, Theological Studies or Religious Studies
● Training in discipleship, program development, facilitation and collaboration.
● 3 – 5 years’ experience in a ministerial discipleship role within a parish.
● Experience working with a diverse community of disciples who are at various stages of spiritual growth and development.
Hours of Work
The Director of Discipleship is expected to work 35 hours per week, including regular weekday office hours, evenings and weekends, as required. A flexible work schedule is negotiable, based on the needs of the parish, and the DD’s availability.
Please submit a cover letter stating salary expectations and a résumé to the attention of Fr. Justin Huang at [email protected] For more information, please contact Catherine Kriekenbeek-Lee at 604.266.6131, ext. 202. Application deadline is August 25, 2018.